Saturday, September 3, 2011

Hello there!

Ummm, yeah. I have all but abandoned this blog but I'm here with a refreshed commitment to document and share our anything but boring lives with Type 1!


We survived another summer with Type 1 including a two week trip to California to visit my parents. Air travel is always a little tricky because of the TSA security regulations. On the way out to Cali, I did my normal routine of pointing out that Ty was wearing an insulin pump and again they were boggled and pulled him aside for the embarrassing secondary security check.  On the way home I tried an experiment and did not say a word about his pump and guess what? He walked right thru security with no issues at all like the rest of us.  From now on I am adopting the "don't ask, don't tell" policy. Until the TSA agents are trained with some basic Insulin Pump knowledge and sensitivity, I will not voluntarily point it out to them. We have had agents who were rude and ignorant, and looked at me as if I said that my kid had an explosive device attached to his hip rather than a device that provides life saving insulin. If they notice and question it I will be more than happy to explain.

Other than that it was smooth sailing. I even remembered to change his pump right away to California time, having the time just two hours off can create crazy highs or lows since he has several different basal rates over the course of 24 hours.

Now that summer is over, it is on to our next adventure- Junior High! Check back for a post on how we are navigating a new school, new schedule and adolescence...


2 comments:

  1. I have tried not saying anything about Joe's pump, but it always causes the machine to alarm, so he endures the "pat-down". Good for you on being able to travel hassle-free! WOOT!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi,

    My name is Aaron Capp I have written several cookbooks for diabetics. But what I would like you to help me promote the writing a new book call "Fighting Kids Type 1 Diabetes" The book is about helping parents cope with Type 1 diabetes as well as looking for ways to help prevent it. 60% of the profits from the book will be for diabetic research the other 40% will be for production and promotion of the book. If you promote this book on your blog I would be happy to acknowledge your efforts in the book. You will find more information at: http://aaroncapp.com/fighting-diabetes/

    Hope You Have a Great Day
    Aaron Capp

    ReplyDelete